Pages

Sunday 1 September 2013

Little Things

Sometimes just changing one thing about a makeup look can really change your appearance. Today it's all about the lips. I was chatting to my friend and she told me that she's bought one of the Revlon ColourStay Ultimate Suede Lipsticks and she is delighted with it. It got me thinking about the one that I own. I wrote a post about the collection a while ago (check it out) and I really like the range. The lipstick that I have myself is one of my only really dark lipsticks that I own. I do actually own a pure black lipstick too but that is generally reserved for Hallowe'en when I generally dress as a cat... (Really imaginative I know). Anyway, I decided to do a look and show you how it looks with and without the lipstick. I haven't really done a 'going out' look for a while on here so it's a little bit of a change - i've even stepped out of my comfortable golds and browns on my eyes for a bit and gone silver! 


I'll start off with the products I used:
Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation by Benefit in Honey
Seventeen Liquid Liner (on my lid)
MaXfactor Cream Blush in Soft Pink
Rimmel Stay Matte Power in Peach Glow
Rimmel Natural Bronzer in Sun Bronze
Barry M Bold Black Kohl (for my waterline)
MaXfactor Masterpiece Max Mascara
Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer (I would tell you the shade but I have no idea as it's rubbed off!)
Three grey eyeshadows from the Elf 32 piece Eyeshadow palette
Burts Bees Lip Balm (I have the pomegranate one, it's a deep pink in the tube but doesn't come out strongly at all)


I really wanted to do some winged liner and I adore the Seventeen Liquid liner as it stays on forever and for winged liner that is so important. I did a relatively light version of a smoky eye, I didn't use any black eyeshadow, just various greys. I think if you wanted to go all out then you could use a bit of black but when I added the lips later I was worried it could look just that little bit OTT with such dramatic eyes. A quick mention to the hairband as well because I love it - it's from New Look, was £2.99 and I love the retro look you can achieve with it. I may have to do a post showing the hairstyles that i've been using it for! Burts Bee's Lip Balms need mentioning too - they are lovely and moisturising. 

Onto about 5 minutes later and i've taken off the Lip Balm and put on
Revlon ColourStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in Backstage


I don't know why they named this lipstick Backstage, was it trying to be ironic? There is nothing 'backstage' about this colour. In the tube it's a deep purple but when applied it can look more fuchsia in some lights, dark in others and even a little red. In these photos it looks quite pink. I will put another photo below in a different light to see if I can convey the actual colour, or just go check it out for yourself! I love it and I think it's a colour that a lot of people could pull off - if you are brave enough to rock a statement lip! (You definitely need to try one if you haven't already!)

This still looks quite pink but the lipstick has been on longer and you can see the 'suede' effect more clearly, basically once it's properly dry it's a matte colour. I'm just always too impatient when taking photos to wait for it to be fully dry.

Yes I changed my hair but I felt like the hairband just didn't go anymore and it needed a different hairstyle to go with it! Shows how much just lipstick can change everything though. I really love this look and I hope you do too! I shall definitely wear it next time I go on a night out.

You may notice my hair looks to be quite a different colour again, I haven't dyed it but unfortunately the dye is fading. The bleached ombre is coming back because of this and it is very very annoying. However, I had a haircut this week and spoke to the hairdresser, he asked if I had used permanent or semi and I said permanent. Apparently this was my mistake! I have no idea why, (and neither does he) but if you are dying over a previous dye then it is best to use a semi and then later on go over that with permanent. According to my hairdresser that should stop the dye fading. I have no idea where the logic is in that - surely a permanent dye should fade less than a semi-perm? No? I will definitely bear that in mind though. I have a feeling i'll be buying a semi-permanent dye soon because I loved the richness of the brown when I first dyed it and I don't want lighter ends again!

Em x



1 comment:

comment here :)